Infinite Dreams

Tires - what are you rolling on??

So I had the unfortunate pleasure of replacing my all seasons this week after changing over from my snow tires. It wasn't completely unexpected but I thought I would have the summer to do it. Alas I was wrong, I forgot how worn they really were.

Since it was unplanned I did a really quick search and decided to give Nexen Arias a try. They were the best rated inexpensive tires I could find and I have to say my first impression is good. There were a lot of reviews which said they were the quietest tires people had owned and I will have to agree with them. They handle well in corners and absorb cracks and joints smoothly. Now this is not to say they will withstand the claimed 80k ratings but I hope they will come close considering I run snows for 4.5-5 months a year.

So what are you all rolling on?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

About to change back over to summer tires this week, hopefully dont have to replace them yet ! Think they are the Toyo Open Countrys that came stock on the Rav.

Partial to Michelin tires...pss for summers and x-ice 3 for winters... probably last season for the pss and might switch up to something softer although I'm not sure if I can give up their incredible grip

Just swapped out the snows on wife's Kia Sorento. Hankook IPike Winter over to Cooper Ultra CS5 Touring. Great combo on both ends have had for a couple seasons.

Toyota Tundra: Falken WildPeak AT3W All Terrains will be replaced in the next couple months with the new General Grabber ATX All Terrain

Lexus CT200H: Just bought this as a commuter car and it has brand new Michelin MXM4s on it

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

So I had the unfortunate pleasure of replacing my all seasons this week after changing over from my snow tires. It wasn't completely unexpected but I thought I would have the summer to do it. Alas I was wrong, I forgot how worn they really were.

Since it was unplanned I did a really quick search and decided to give Nexen Arias a try. They were the best rated inexpensive tires I could find and I have to say my first impression is good. There were a lot of reviews which said they were the quietest tires people had owned and I will have to agree with them. They handle well in corners and absorb cracks and joints smoothly. Now this is not to say they will withstand the claimed 80k ratings but I hope they will come close considering I run snows for 4.5-5 months a year.

Edit to add: running General Altimax for snows, great traction and smooth ride for a snow tires

• Like 1

Our Santa Fe and Silverado both run Michellin X-Ice2 snow tires. For all seasons, the Silverado has whatever Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires they used at the factory. We just replaced the Santa Fe's all seasons with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. The Pirelli's are allegedly no good on the ice, but handle really nice on wet roads -- which is the point of our all seasons.

Again not a long time on these but I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable these tires were driving up and back to Wildcat this past weekend. Hope they last.

Put my summer tires on the Mustang Sunday , they are so much noisier than the winter tires, it should be the other way , I can't wait for them to wear out !!!!!

9 hours ago, Brad J said:

Put my summer tires on the Mustang Sunday , they are so much noisier than the winter tires, it should be the other way , I can't wait for them to wear out !!!!!

How is the mustang in the winter?

I don't know a whole lot about tires.  But I do have some almost new snows on rims that I'm looking to sell. They came of my wife's 2015 Subaru Forester and they don't fit any vehicles that we currently have.  I'd much rather sell them to somebody from NMS that can use them vs dealing with Craigslist...and I'd make it a VERY good deal to see that happen.

Firestone, Winterforce, P215/70R16  99S M+S.  They get a 4.8 star rating on Tire Rack, Amazon, and everywhere else.  Great tire.

IMG_20180425_091043946_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180425_091117186.jpg

14 hours ago, Smellytele said:

How is the mustang in the winter?

Its fine as long as you drive carefully in snow , I have used this one for 3 seasons and my old one for 11 years  and I never have had a problem, they are manual transmission which helps. when is wet or dry a total blast which is 90% of the ski commuting time, I pass a lot of 4wd drive cars and trucks off the road during storms, slow and steady wins

• Like 1

So... it's new tire time for me. We just bought a 2019 Volvo XC40, which now comes without TPMS sensors. yay! So I ordered some Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires to put on her factory standard rims. And some of the fancier upgraded Volvo-branded rims to run in the summer.

I still have Michelin snow tires that have one more season left for the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe, and got new all-seasons for it this spring.

The challenge: my 2016 Chevy Silverado has worn through the factory Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. Well, not really, but I can feel the difference in the slick now. And I wore out the previous Michelin snow I had run. So I need new snows for this season, and possibly new all-seasons in the spring...

I’m toying with the idea of the Nokian WR G3 for my truck. One of the “all-weather” tires that qualifies as a snow tire but you can run year-round. Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

So... it's new tire time for me. We just bought a 2019 Volvo XC40, which now comes without TPMS sensors. yay! So I ordered some Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires to put on her factory standard rims. And some of the fancier upgraded Volvo-branded rims to run in the summer.

I still have Michelin snow tires that have one more season left for the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe, and got new all-seasons for it this spring.

The challenge: my 2016 Chevy Silverado has worn through the factory Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. Well, not really, but I can feel the difference in the slick now. And I wore out the previous Michelin snow I had run. So I need new snows for this season, and possibly new all-seasons in the spring...

I’m toying with the idea of the Nokian WR G3 for my truck. One of the “all-weather” tires that qualifies as a snow tire but you can run year-round. Thoughts?

I did run the Nokians WR's all season and where they didn't wear as fast as snows they do wear faster than most all seasons. They were great on my wife's Traverse (may it rest in peace) for winter driving but a little rougher than most all-seasons in the summer months. So I would say they are somewhere in-between a all-season and a winter tire.

IMO all seasons, assuming theyre a true all season not one with heavy summer/performance bias, are fine inthe winter when they're new and have good tread depth, AND if you're not trying to drive in deep snow. But when they start wearing their usability insnow declines much faster than true winter tires. I always go with a dedicated winter set.

Also why are you happy your new Volvo doesn't have TPMS sensors?

I was disappointed when I learned my new Audi didn't have them.

23 minutes ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

IMO all seasons, assuming theyre a true all season not one with heavy summer/performance bias, are fine inthe winter when they're new and have good tread depth, AND if you're not trying to drive in deep snow. But when they start wearing their usability insnow declines much faster than true winter tires. I always go with a dedicated winter set.

Also why are you happy your new Volvo doesn't have TPMS sensors?

I was disappointed when I learned my new Audi didn't have them.

Because of a lack of TPMS makes it easier to swap tires. No need to remount and balance or buy new sensors. Can easily do the swap myself in my driveway.

19 minutes ago, MEtoVTskier said:

Are you looking for a set of dedicated winter tires or all seasons?

This is the exact question I am trying to answer for myself. Reality is that even in winter most of the driving is done on dry roads. Perhaps I am trying to fool myself into thinking that I'll get 95% of the winter performance out of the "all-weather" (not all season) tires.

Oh, all weather not all season, ok sorry. From what I gather all weather tires sound like what I've known as "performance winter" tires. Winter tires that don't feel like squirmy sponges on dry roads in the winter. That's what I run. But I still run a separate wheel/tire set for summer.

15 minutes ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

Oh, all weather not all season, ok sorry. From what I gather all weather tires sound like what I've known as "performance winter" tires. Winter tires that don't feel like squirmy sponges on dry roads in the winter. That's what I run. But I still run a separate wheel/tire set for summer.

I probably through you off as I should have said all weather not all season in my reply.

Conti DWS 06 all seasons but best rated all seasons in snow , ice , slush

I switch between summer tires and aggressive all seasons in the winter on subarus. Other more SUV type vehicles with 4WD and locking differential I use the same tire all year.

In a Subaru its not a matter of getting stuck but more about increasing your traction radius as much as reasonably possible.

Edited by treeskier82

37 minutes ago, treeskier82 said:

Conti DWS 06 all seasons but best rated all seasons in snow , ice , slush

I switch between summer tires and aggressive all seasons in the winter on subarus. Other more SUV type vehicles with 4WD and locking differential I use the same tire all year.

In a Subaru its not a matter of getting stuck but more about increasing your traction radius as much as reasonably possible.

All my vehicles have competent drive trains. The specific decision I am facing is for a Silverado with automatic locking center and rear diffs. Hard to find a more competent drive train for the snow.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:45 AM, Weatherman said:

Our Santa Fe and Silverado both run Michellin X-Ice2 snow tires. For all seasons, the Silverado has whatever Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires they used at the factory. We just replaced the Santa Fe's all seasons with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. The Pirelli's are allegedly no good on the ice, but handle really nice on wet roads -- which is the point of our all seasons.

This summer I dropped the Dueler for Cooper AT3 4S. Pretty sweet so far and good price. 

This summer I dropped the Dueler for Cooper AT3 4S. Pretty sweet so far and good price. 
I'm a big fan of Cooper Tires. The Cooper CS5 Ultras on our Sorento have been fantastic. I recently got the AT3 XLTs on my Tundra. Looking forward to trying them in the snow. Cooper's are outstanding tires at the price point.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Falken Wildpeak AT/3.  Second set going on the Zoomer Bar in a week or two.
I've owned probably a dozen+ AT tires in my driving lifetime. These have been the absolute best in the snow that I've had.

I wanted something different just for variety sake so got the Cooper AT3 XLTs but those Falkens are awesome All Terrain tires. What's great too is they come in tons of sizes and you aren't forced into getting an E Range/10 ply if you have smaller size

Sent from my moto g(6) using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I ran Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpins on my Subaru WRX for the last 7 or 8 winters I had the car, and never was unable to go where I wanted to. The only time I ever got the car stuck was one time I tried just for shits to drive it through about a foot of wet snow on the unplowed top level of the parking garage at my last job. It didn't quite make it up the upramp and then got stuck trying to reverse back down and I had to dig it out to get moving.