Infinite Dreams

Tires - what are you rolling on??

General Altimax mounted on steel wheels here... no need to pay more for inferior snow performance. I've run Blizzaks and XIce2s... they were good but deep snow performance is not as good as Generals. I think they invest too much into ice grip tech. As a skier charging into a storm, I need better performance in deep snow than ice. I've found the Generals last longer and wear better, too. Though for folks living in metro areas, better ice performance may be preferred. The first time I tried the Altimax, I assumed performance would be worse since they are way cheaper. But you get better snow performance and save a ton. I was shocked but it was true.

So, I’ve never bought anything other than all season tires for my 2012 civic. When going to the mountains I used to head up in my 2004 4Runner...RIP

Anyway, I am debating a tire set up for the civic. Monday through Friday it will be on Boston roads and highways. But I still want to be able to take a “sick day” and make it to the mountains during a storm. Any advice is much appreciated. Winter tires? All weather? Any specific brands/reputable store?

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

20 minutes ago, LItoCOtoBOS said:

So, I’ve never bought anything other than all season tires for my 2012 civic. When going to the mountains I used to head up in my 2004 4Runner...RIP

Anyway, I am debating a tire set up for the civic. Monday through Friday it will be on Boston roads and highways. But I still want to be able to take a “sick day” and make it to the mountains during a storm. Any advice is much appreciated. Winter tires? All weather? Any specific brands/reputable store?

Winter vs All Season is an old debate that relies on personal preference. Yes, Winter tires will do better. Yes you can get by on All Seasons by leaving plenty of room in front and driving slow, which should be done anyway. For several years I made it to Wildcat and back in a rear wheel drive Infiniti G35 with All Seasons. I did keep a metal shovel in the trunk because once plowed in I was screwed. 

So the debate essentially boils down to saving money, time, and potentially someone saying "I told ya so" with All Seasons vs increased safety with Winters.  

17 hours ago, Weatherman said:

So... it's new tire time for me. We just bought a 2019 Volvo XC40, which now comes without TPMS sensors. yay! So I ordered some Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires to put on her factory standard rims. And some of the fancier upgraded Volvo-branded rims to run in the summer.

I still have Michelin snow tires that have one more season left for the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe, and got new all-seasons for it this spring.

The challenge: my 2016 Chevy Silverado has worn through the factory Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. Well, not really, but I can feel the difference in the slick now. And I wore out the previous Michelin snow I had run. So I need new snows for this season, and possibly new all-seasons in the spring...

I’m toying with the idea of the Nokian WR G3 for my truck. One of the “all-weather” tires that qualifies as a snow tire but you can run year-round. Thoughts?

Go with general grabber atx for the truck and run them year round. They wear good, dig awesome in snow and aren't noisy.

Edited by Terry

1 minute ago, Terry said:

Go with general grabber atx for the truck and run them year round. They wear good, dig awesome in snow and aren't noisy.

We sell a lot of them and everyone that plows in our area swear by them.

7 hours ago, LItoCOtoBOS said:

For the Civic I go to tirerack and get dedicated snow, either steelies or some cheep alloys. Have had good luck with the Michelin X Ice on my Toyotas !

• Like 2

still a nube in the tire game...Alignment, is it necessary?

From the store, "If you wish, based on vehicle manufacturer's recommendation of a four wheel (front & rear) alignment, Town Fair Tire will do it for $55.00."

17 minutes ago, LItoCOtoBOS said:

From the store, "If you wish, based on vehicle manufacturer's recommendation of a four wheel (front & rear) alignment, Town Fair Tire will do it for $55.00."

if the car goes straight when the wheel is straight you dont need an alignment.  If the car doesnt go straight when the wheel is straight you need an alignment.

1 hour ago, LItoCOtoBOS said:

if your buying from Townfair and having them do the summer / winter change overs that they say are free....read the fine print they charge for balancing them. not the end of the world but

they mis lead you on the free change over  !

And on the alignment Look at your current tires and see if they are wearing evenly across the tire. fronts would be most noticeable if something was out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skiur said:

if the car goes straight when the wheel is straight you dont need an alignment.  If the car doesnt go straight when the wheel is straight you need an alignment.

not true

4 hours ago, Skiur said:

Don't go by this. You can easily be out of alignment and run the inner or outer sections of the tire bald quickly. Tire wear is the best way of telling if you're aligned or not imo.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's more complicated. For example, the camber can be off so that you wear the inside or outside of the tire unevenly. I've had this happen before.

1 minute ago, Flying Yeti said:

Don't go by this. You can easily be out of alignment and run the inner or outer sections of the tire bald quickly. Tire wear is the best way of telling if you're aligned or not imo.

But even this is "too little too late". By the time you notice the uneven wear you've already smoked a perfectly good set of tires. I get an alignment with every new set of tires. The extra $50 is a small price compared to ruining a $1000 set of tires.

• Like 1

Good point. Too late. I replaced some control arms and tire rods. Got new tires and had it aligned. The next day I was heading to MRG and by White River Junction all I could smell was burning. 480 miles later when I got home the outer 1.5" were almost down to the steel band. Brought it back the next day as they had clearly forgot to align it. 

if your buying from Townfair and having them do the summer / winter change overs that they say are free....read the fine print they charge for balancing them. not the end of the world but
they mis lead you on the free change over  !
And on the alignment Look at your current tires and see if they are wearing evenly across the tire. fronts would be most noticeable if something was out
I only balance every other change. It really isn't expensive at all especially with the cost savings by buying from them

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

17 hours ago, StraightSkis said:

Winter vs All Season is an old debate that relies on personal preference. Yes, Winter tires will do better. Yes you can get by on All Seasons by leaving plenty of room in front and driving slow, which should be done anyway. For several years I made it to Wildcat and back in a rear wheel drive Infiniti G35 with All Seasons. I did keep a metal shovel in the trunk because once plowed in I was screwed. 

So the debate essentially boils down to saving money, time, and potentially someone saying "I told ya so" with All Seasons vs increased safety with Winters.  

I think some of us skiers are looking to do more than have increased safety or "survive" a drive through the snow. I always buy snow tires because I plan on driving in the snow, with a far away destination in mind. So I want to be able to drive to the mountain, in the snow, at a reasonable speed and not crawl my way there.  Snows have made a big difference, especially over the all seasons that have come with my cars.

And sometimes snow are just completely necessary. Even a subaru on all-seasons struggles to get up the access road to Bolton Valley in VT when it's snowing.

So you can see what my personal preference is! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

As I posted earlier I got Generals and they have been amazing. Going on my third winter on the Rav with them and will never go without again

My wifes Rav didnt have snow tires last year, she only has a 2 mile drive to work so she didnt care. She ended up going out in a storm with my daughters car and was floored at how well the car handled !

She cares now ! and has dedicated snows....finally convinced her ! now I can steel her car if needed !! win / win

Edited by ABV
  • Like 1

My wifes Rav didnt have snow tires last year, she only has a 2 mile drive to work so she didnt care. She ended up going out in a storm with my daughters car and was floored at how well the car handled !
She cares now ! and has dedicated snows....finally convinced her ! now I can steel her car if needed !! win / win
That is my next mission. I just bought dry tires for the Rav this summer and I really don't want to put out another 1k for her car but I really should..

16 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I get an alignment with every new set of tires. The extra $50 is a small price compared to ruining a $1000 set of tires.

This!